1 – JCQ Award for examiners, moderators, exam setters
The JCQ award gives formal recognition to examiners, moderators and exam setters who have made a sustained contribution to examining. And to encourage them to continue examining and/or moderating for several years.
Awards are considered against the following criteria:
- For all who have – as at summer 2021 – served as examiners for three or more consecutive academic years with the same Awarding Organisation (AO).
- Each AO will need to have examiner records going back at least three, to work each candidate’s award. out the level of
- For those with only two years’ service by summer 2021, it will be awarded in summer 2022.
- Academic years need
- In future years, awards will be offered for five or more, and ten or more, consecutive years’ active examining service.” to be consecutive
Qualifying examiners will receive a letter and certificate recognising their services to examining. The award will be something the teacher can add to their portfolio and include on their CV, providing evidence of the teacher’s commitment to ongoing CPD.
Teachers do not need to apply for the award. Each AO will collect / nominate those examiners meeting the criteria following the examination series.
- Each AO will then issue awards to its examiners in the autumn.
2 – JCQ Award for centres
This award recognises schools and colleges committed to encouraging and supporting their staff to become examiners and moderators and to encourage other schools to do the same.
Centre heads will be asked for evidence of how they:
- Encourage staff to consider becoming examiners
- Use the experience of examiners to support CPD across the centre
- Support staff to become and remain as examiners
- The full criteria and template will be published shortly.
The Award is a paper certificate with the logo of JCQ, AOs and teacher associations involved in the working group and will recognise the centre’s services to examining.
How it will be managed:
- Centres are to self-nominate direct to JCQ by end of September, completing a template.
- The submission is also to include a short statement from an examiner at the centre in support of the centre’s submission.
- The Examiner Capacity Working Group will review submissions in October.
- Approved centres are to be given the award in November.
- Positive case studies will be included on the new examiner website.
- Approved schools will also be listed on the website.